Always have a 5 gallon bucket of water close when using sparklers!
Children under the age of 12 should not use sparklers without very close adult supervision.
Show children how to hold sparklers away from their body and at arm’s length.
Never hold a child in your arms while using sparklers.
Always remain standing while using sparklers.
Never hold, or light, more than one sparkler at a time.
Never hand a lighted sparkler to another person. Never throw sparklers.
Lit sparklers should never be held in the close proximity of the clothing, body or face of another person. Never bring the burning sparkler in close contact with any other material, as it will leave scorch marks or possibly ignite the material.
Sparkler wire and stick remain hot long after the flame has gone out.
Be sure to drop the spent sparklers directly into the 5 gallon bucket of water.
Safety tips courtesy of the National Council on Fireworks Safety.
Sparkler Lighting Instructions.
1. Fill a 5 gallon bucket with water and keep it close by!
2. Make sure to have a butane or barbecue lighter. The safest lighters are the ones where the flame is away from your hand. DO NOT use matches to light sparklers. They do not burn long enough to raise the heat of the sparklers material to light.
3. Line the guest up in two rows, lining where the bride and groom are going to walk. Pass
out one sparkler to each person, DO NOT have more than one sparkler in hand at a time.
4. The best way to light multiple sparklers in a small amount of time is to light one sparkler with a butane lighter and then use that sparkler to light other sparklers.
Have 2-3 people be the designated lighters.
5. Have designated lighters, light their sparklers off of the butane lighter. Once their sparklers are lit they can start moving down the rows touching their sparkler to the other guest sparklers. Sparklers lit by other sparklers will light almost instantly.
6. Light sparklers always on the tip, furthest away from the wire handle.
7. Dispose of used sparklers in the 5 gallon bucket of water you have close by.